Post- Doctoral Position
Location: University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA
Opportunity for an outstanding Post-doctoral applicant with possible career advancement: statistical genomic analyses, gene discovery and function, meta-analyses. Individual will conduct analyses of large datasets, write manuscripts, and present at scientific meetings.
Conduct analysis of genotype and sequencing data, gene-environment analyses, and meta-analyses. Interface and actively collaborate with other researchers.
Disciplines: Genetic Epidemiology, bioinformatics, statistical genetics with strong quantitative skills.
Ph.D. in quantitative genetic-epidemiology, statistical genetics or bioinformatics and
- 3+ years-Skill (Preferred), experience and good working knowledge of genetic databases and websites, as well as computational programs such as Operating Systems (e.g. UNIX, LINUX, Windows); Scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Python, Bash, Tcl); Programming languages (e.g. Java, C/C++) and statistical programming (R or MatLab), PLINK, SAS.
- Proven ability to analyze human genome-wide data
- Record of high-quality publications and oral presentations preferable.
- Thorough knowledge of principles and techniques used in genomic research projects including knowledge of potential biases, population structure and how to assess them in study design and analyses.
- Experience in programming biology-related software for data mining (e.g. genome sequences) required
- Self-starter and ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Team player, willing to teach and share
Highly qualified candidates will have:
- Hands-on experience in large-scale data analysis
- Experience in statistical computing
- Understanding of basic molecular biology
- Ability to manage and steer research projects
- Ability to prepare manuscripts for publication in top tier journals
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
For further information, please send cover letter, current CV and the names and contact information of three references to: Johanna Seddon, M.D., Sc.M., Professor at Johanna.Seddon@umassmed.edu