URU The Right To Be, Inc. invites qualified, mature, and experienced candidates (Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral degrees) to apply as a full-time (35 – 40 hours per week) Executive Administrative Assistant. The successful applicant will be tasked with a variety of responsibilities, particularly those that will help support and implement URU’s various initiatives. The Executive Administrative Assistant will work directly with and in support of the CEO. This position is well-suited for those who have majored in English, the humanities, social sciences, African American studies, health and medicine, film and media studies, women’s and gender studies, etc.
What is URU? URU is an expanding New Haven-based nonprofit content and education-through-the-arts production company that uses multimedia solutions to tackle social issues. URU recently celebrated its 25th anniversary and maintains a reputation for being a very active, ambitious, and far-reaching organization. At any given time, the URU team is working on various projects simultaneously. Some examples are: Changing the Face of STEM, a national educational initiative that addresses the historic, persistent disenfranchisement and marginalization within culturally, linguistically, and economically neglected communities and encourages people of color, women, and differently abled people to identify with, aspire to, and pursue careers in STEM and medicine. We recently launched the Our Humanity initiative, a messaging transformation tailored to communities of color that are being disproportionately impacted by COVID-19. This project brings together trusted influencers, experts, celebrities, etc. from Black, Latinx, and Indigenous communities to inform and stress the urgency of staying safe. Since the start of the pandemic, URU has pivoted from holding large-scale, national events to adapt our work to a virtual environment. In everything that we do, URU seeks to inform and influence public policy at all levels of government, academia, and the private sector and to serve as a catalyst for positive change.
Please visit our website for more information about URU’s mission and CEO: www.urutherighttobe.org
This position reports directly to URU’s CEO. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing administrative support for diverse internal and external needs
- Scheduling, coordinating, and tracking meetings and events
- Drafting correspondence in email and hard copy
- Typing dictated letters, responding to e-mails, mailing and scanning documents
- Managing data in Excel spreadsheets
- Communicating with outside organizations and institutions
- Managing special projects and events
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum two years’ experience in an office setting
- Ability to type a minimum of 60 words per minute
- Mastery of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint) and Google Drive
- Working knowledge of social networking platforms: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Ability to work both independently and as a team contributor
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills
- Comfortable in a flexible, shared, fast-paced work environment
- Mature, highly motivated, well-organized, and patient
- Strong ability to multitask
- Current Connecticut residency
This position requires travel to our Hamden, CT office and follows an afternoon/evening schedule. A tentative schedule is as follows:
Tuesday – Friday: 3:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Saturday: 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm
This may shift to be a combination of remote and in-person work, but applicants must be able to be in the office multiple days a week. URU practices strict COVID-19 safety protocol; only completely necessary visitors can enter and they must wear masks at all times. On any given day, the only people present will be the CEO and 1-2 assistants.
Minimum Bachelor’s degree in above stated disciplines. Three to five years’ work experience preferred.
Pay and Benefits:
This position offers a benefits package. Hourly rate is commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates should send resume and cover letter to Alexandra Gruner at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put in subject “Executive Administrative Assistant.”
URU is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identify, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status or disability.
We are extremely cognizant of COVID-19 safety guidelines. No more than 4 people are present at any given time, including the CEO. All outside visitors must wear masks, disinfect their hands, etc. Only essential employees/visitors can enter at any time.