Machine Learning Engineer
Wayfair’s Algorithms Organization builds state of the art, data-driven modelling systems that power our Forecasting, Pricing, and Two-Sided Marketplace workstreams. These high impact initiatives are core to our overall business. We look for driven experts who are passionate about machine learning and applying it to solve real business problems at scale as part of a collaborative team environment. Working on projects such as:
- Developing novel machine learning models to identify latent customer tastes and price response to inform algorithmic pricing solutions.
- Build a pipeline to scale algorithms to determine the causal impact of different supplier incentives on supplier actions in order to optimize our two-sided marketplace.
- Create machine learning solutions to predict customer demand for millions of products..
There is very little at Wayfair that our machine learning engineers do not touch. They work closely with data science teams across the business to build and scale novel solutions to business problems via machine learning. With an in-house A/B testing platform and rolling code deployments, our team can quickly and clearly see the impact that its work has on the company at large and the algorithms you create will directly impact the customer’s experience.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and scale state-of-the-art machine learning methods to address core business problems
- Architect and support technical platforms for our algorithmic engines to run at scale
- Build end-to-end ML solutions and pipelines to run in real-time, scaling algorithmic insights to impact millions of Wayfair customers
- Own the full machine learning life-cycle from conception to prototyping, testing, deploying, and measuring overall business value driven by your work as part of a dynamic team
- Leverage your expertise in scalable system design, working with the devops team, as part of a culture of engineering practices
- Pilot projects using new open source tools and packages to enable novel machine learning techniques across the company
- Collaborate with data scientists to create maintainable, scalable and debuggable code by bringing strong software development practices
- Work with a team of friendly and motivated scientists and engineers to build and scale novel solutions to business problems
What You’ll Need
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate, Master’s, or PhD degree program.
- Currently obtaining a degree focused within either Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Computer Science or other major with a heavy quantitative concentration (e.g. mathematics, economics, computer science, engineering, physics, neuroscience, operations research, etc.)
- Intuitive sense of how quantitative and technical work aligns closely with business priorities and business value
- Ability to effectively work with technical leads: strong communication skills, ability to synthesize conclusions for non-experts and desire to influence technical decisions
- High comfort level with data structures, algorithms, and programming in a team environment, e.g. languages such as Python, C++, perl, C, Scala, Java, bash, etc and a tools such as Docker, kafka, Jenkins, github, Kubernetes, MSSQL, AWS / GCP, etc
- High level understanding of machine learning (such as supervised/unsupervised learning, recommendation systems, reinforcement learning, deep learning, etc.)
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment where there can be degrees of ambiguity
- Bonus points for being hands on, while providing technical leadership and driving strategic initiatives for your team
No matter the position, you will have the opportunity to play a critical role in a growing company while also operating with a high level of executive visibility. The team is focused on creating strategic solutions that steer customer behavior, influence key decision making and quantify our impact within the e-commerce space. Our diverse and fun employees enjoy an environment of strong ownership and quick feedback from building, experimenting and iterating on high-impact work.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences and diversity, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic