Weiss Asset Management (WAM), a Boston-based investment firm, is seeking a highly intelligent and self-motivated individual to participate in all aspects of the legal function in a growing, internationally-focused firm that invests in over 50 countries and is rolling out new products. The right candidate will proactively take ownership of several functions within the legal department, communicate effectively with all teams across the firm, and engage in multiple substantive areas as a generalist. Candidates should be curious and driven with a desire to learn about all aspects of an investment firm.
Prior experience as a legal assistant or paralegal is not required, and 2022 graduates are encouraged to apply for a summer 2022 start date. Past employees in this position have gone on to attend top law schools or have pursued investment careers within the firm.
- Interacting with brokers and other counterparties to establish and maintain trading relationships
- Maintaining company records and information relating to contracts, corporate governance, and entities
- Working with outside counsel on discovery and document requests for litigation and related matters
- Preparing materials for contracts, documents and filings of a registered investment adviser
- Negotiating and drafting certain arrangements and agreements
About the Company:
For 30 years, Weiss Asset Management has developed proprietary value-based investment strategies designed to deliver high risk-adjusted returns to our investors, who include charitable foundations, pension plans, endowments, hospitals, government entities and private investors. We manage approximately $2.7 billion across hedge funds and institutional accounts. We work collaboratively to solve problems, and to identify undervalued assets through deep fundamental research, statistical analysis and an analytically rigorous approach to decision making. Above all else, we value integrity, uncompromising rationality, creativity and entrepreneurship, and continuous learning and improvement.
Our team of around 100 individuals is the engine of our success and we welcome truly exceptional candidates from all backgrounds.
WAM is a fit for you if:
- You enjoy a collaborative environment, where decisions are made in diverse teams. At WAM, all employees can expect to work directly with members of other departments representing a range of backgrounds.
- You work well in a flat structure and are comfortable voicing dissenting opinion. Talent and work ethic will dictate what you can achieve at WAM, as evidenced by the fact that our co-president and the majority of our managing directors began their careers here as interns.
- You are driven to constantly learn, improve, and make rational decisions based in fact and data, and you welcome receiving feedback as well as sharing knowledge with others.
- You prioritize acting ethically in all situations.
WAM is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.