This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies: https://ocs.yale.edu/ocs-policies/. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund (Wellspring) seeks a Communications Intern for Summer 2021 to assist with various tasks and projects related to our communications priorities – donor and internal communications, specifically. The Communications Intern will work under the direction of, and in close collaboration with, the Communications Associate and will work as part of Wellspring’s overall Communications Team.
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund Internship Program is intended to provide significant practical training and experience in the areas of philanthropy, social justice and human rights. The internship offers an opportunity to support the organizational, programmatic and grantmaking activities aimed to improve human rights and social justice. In this internship, Wellspring will provide opportunities for learning and exposure to the operations side of philanthropy.
Communications at Wellspring
Wellspring’s communications department is responsible for setting the strategy and direction for all internal and external communications that support the executive leadership, organization and grantmaking, and program staff. Communications work includes but is not limited to developing talking points and messaging, style guides and communications protocols, message training, communications plans, and monitoring social media.
· Help prepare content and curate stock images for microsite, anniversary video, staff newsletter
· Develop a 2021 social justice calendar
· Compile and analyze usage reports of website (SEO), staff newsletter, donor microsite
· Assist with drafting internal documents, including finalizing editorial style guide
· Assist with developing weekly staff newsletter under the direction of Communications Associate
· Help with preparing messaging and presentation materials as needed
· Support event logistics and planning, as needed
· Monitor the internet and social media channels for positive and negative stories about Wellspring
· Gather information and produce communications related projects to support the communications team
· Perform administrative tasks as requested (e.g., notetaking, file organizing)
· Undergraduate or graduate students pursuing a relevant field preferred (e.g., journalism, communications, marketing)
· One or two years of communications/journalism experience in a professional office environment preferred
· Keen attention to detail and strong organizational and project management skills
· Experience (or interest) in using WordPress and Mailchimp, a plus
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Understanding of AP Stylebook and/or Chicago Manual of Style
· Proven ability to follow through on a project
· High level of discretion and ability to handle confidential information
· High level of proficiency with MS Office Suite programs
· Understands and values social justice — including racial and gender equity as an organizational operating principle — and is committed to continued learning on issues related to race, gender, equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Compensation and Benefits
· Hourly position ($18/hour)
· Develop and strengthen personal and professional skills in a workplace committed to the advancement of human rights.
· Acquire deeper understanding of the role philanthropic organizations play in promoting and advancing social justice and human rights
· Participate in weekly lunch series featuring Wellspring staff and expert outside speakers;
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund is a private grantmaking foundation dedicated to advancing the realization of human rights and social and economic justice for all people. With offices in Washington, DC and New York, NY, Wellspring’s work is rooted in respect for the dignity and worth of every human being and is informed by the following beliefs:
· Social institutions and structures should promote the full realization of human rights and human potential, and should be accountable to these ends
· The rights of all people are advanced when the rights of the most marginalized and vulnerable peoples are protected
· Social justice movements should employ means that are consistent with their ideals, and should give agency to the people whose interests they seek to advance
· As responsible stewards, we must strive to maximize the impact of our charitable investments
For more information on Wellspring Philanthropic Fund, please visit www.wpfund.org.
Wellspring’s Institutional Culture of Respect Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
Wellspring Philanthropic Fund believes we are strengthened by the diversity of our staff, and welcomes such diversity including race, gender identity or expression, educational attainment, disability, veteran status, and personal experience with the criminal justice system. We welcome applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, and we strongly encourage people of color and persons with disabilities to apply. We actively cultivate an institutional culture that reflects the values of respect, equity and inclusion that we seek through our work to amplify in the larger world.
Wellspring hires, promotes, and retains employees based on their professional qualifications, demonstrated abilities and work performance, as well as on the degree to which these qualities are required in the employment positions made available by the Foundations’ service needs and business requirements. All personnel decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, assignment, training, promotion, discipline and discharge, are made without discrimination based on any protected characteristic as defined by law (e.g., race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, domestic partner status, veteran or military status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, and prior criminal convictions, as well as educational attainment.
How To Apply:
Applications should demonstrate strong writing ability, excellent communication skills and the ability to independently undertake various research, writing and administrative projects.
· Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Summer Intern 2021, Communications” in the subject line, and attach the following documents:
· A cover letter outlining your interest in this role and your expected weekly availability
· A resume that includes contact information for at least one academic or professional reference
· One writing sample of no more than three (3) pages (e.g., academic work, essay, news article, brief research paper)
· This paid internship is full-time (35 hours/week), working remotely* and operating on Eastern Time (NYC hours).
· The summer internship is expected to run from late June through August (with flexibility).
· Offer will be contingent upon a background check.
· No phone calls, please.
Complete applications must be received by June 14th, 2021.