Non-Instructional Roles

Those interested in pursuing careers in Education may be attracted to job functional roles outside of the teaching profession.

School Counselors

Work with students to assist them to develop their academic achievement, personal and social development. They are an integral member of the education team and work with other members of the staff to develop programs to support and boost student success. School counselors are employed in elementary, middle/junior high, and high schools.

Reading Specialists

Certified professionals who are responsible for the literacy performance of students. They develop academic plans, provide assessment, and lead efforts to ensure the quality of the school reading program.

School Librarians

Assist students in finding information from a variety of resources and maintain the school library collection. A master’s degree in library science is needed as well as additional requirements depending on the school, such as a teaching certificate or a degree in another field.

School Psychologists

Work in tandem with teachers and special education staff to assess a student’s needs and qualification for special education services. They work with parents, and may serve on committees to help determine the type and range of services that may be appropriate for the student. These educators are certified and licensed with a minimum of a master’s degree as well as national certification as required by some states.

Teaching Assistants/Associates

Work under a teacher’s supervision to provide students additional attention and instruction. A teaching assistant needs at minimum a high school diploma or an associate’s degree.

Higher Education Administrators

Higher education institutions hire individuals who desire to contribute to the overall educational pursuits of college students, such as academic advisors, admissions officers, development officers, career counselors, marketing experts, and technology specialists.