Investment Banking: 2024 Summer Internship Overview
Employers hiring for investment banking internships recruit based on their own individual timelines. Recruiting for junior year internships begins early; some students may start the recruiting process in the spring semester of their sophomore year – others will find themselves applying during the summer after sophomore year.
Build your list of firms to target:
- Use resources such as the Firsthand Guide to Investment Banking Employers. This guide can be helpful to research and learn more about the numerous firms providing investment banking internships.
- Attend events organized by employers to build connections and gain tips on the application and interview process. Refer to Events/Employer Events in Yale Career Link for details.
- Sign up to receive job alerts on the websites of the firms on your target list.
- Create a spreadsheet to stay organized, track application deadlines and your progress.
Connect with alumni at the firms on your target list:
- Use the Yale Alumni LinkedIn page to search Yale Alums who have a LinkedIn Account. Search ‘Yale University’ in the LinkedIn search bar to find Yale’s LinkedIn page. On the left, you will see an option for Alumni.
- Search the OCS Peer Networking Lists.
- Log into Cross Campus, a database of Yale alum interested in networking with students.
- Check out our resources on how to connect with alumni.
Apply directly through the organization’s website:
- Employers may also post in Yale Career Link. From this posting you will be sent to the organizations website to apply.
- Consider checking weekly for new listings as not all internships are posted well in advance of the application period and employers may post them at any time.
Anticipate how quickly the process can move:
- Applications are typically on a rolling basis. This means that applications can be reviewed at any time during the process – not only after the application deadline. You may be asked to interview shortly after your application has been received.
- Before starting the application process, think about how prepared you feel for interviews and your ability to commit to a position prior to exploring other internships.
- Check out our interviewing resources.
Keep a positive mindset:
- Stay focused on your own individual applications and progress. Students may move through the application and interview process at different times.
Connect with the Office of Career Strategy for advice and encouragement along the way!