If you are in the early years of your PhD, there are many opportunities you can harness to explore available careers, boost your resume, and help further your career goals before you hit the job market. This page curates some general places to look for resume-building opportunities, internships, part-time projects, and jobs at Yale and beyond.
Center for Collaborative Arts & Media (CCAM) Events
The Center for Collaborative Arts and Media (CCAM) at Yale University is an experiment center for visual art, computer science, music, architecture, film and video, theater and dance, and literature. A wing of Yale Arts, it does not provide curriculum, but instead focuses on guiding students and visiting artists in expanding and exploring all manner of projects. Check out CCAM’s event schedule here.
Digital Humanities Lab Workshops
The Yale Digital Humanities Lab leads workshops throughout the year on methods and tools related to data collection, cleaning, mining, visualization, and analysis. These workshops are open to all Yale students, faculty, and staff, but sometimes space is limited, so please check to see if registration is required. Browse workshop offerings here.
StatLab Workshops for Getting Started
The StatLab offers a range of workshops for beginners and topical workshops for users to get familiar with new-to-you functionality and features. Their Workshops for Getting Started are meant to get you familiar with tools, demonstrate how to work through common steps, and provide you with ways of accessing and understanding follow-up support. See their workshop offerings here.
Tsai City Intensives
Tsai CITY intensives are multi-session, cohort-based experiential learning opportunities that go deep on a specific topic. See which intensives are still open and submit your application to participate here.
During your time at Yale, there are many ways to gain valuable transferrable skills that will enhance your resume and increase your value among recruiters. Leverage these common resume-building opportunities at Yale to optimize your professional development while working on your PhD:
- Yale Student Employment Portal: browse part-time jobs at Yale in communications, digital media, marketing, research, event management, and more.
- Apply for a Graduate Internship or Research Assistantship with the Yale Center for British Art or the Yale University Art Gallery.
- Yale University Press offers summer internships in scholarly publishing.
- Yale President’s Public Service Fellowship: A paid summer fellowship to work in New Haven with city agency or local non-profit organizations.
- Work for the Yale Young Global Scholars program.
- Apply to become a McDougal Fellow in either Career Services (OCS), Development and Diversity (OGSDD), Graduate Student Life (GSL), Teaching (CTL Grad Teaching), or Writing (CTL Grad Writing Lab). These 5 offices appoint over 50 Graduate School Student Fellows positions a year to work 5-8 hours a week in event management, social media, marketing, communications, curriculum design, and more.
Below are some examples of places to look outside Yale for internships or post-graduate employment that may be of interest to Humanities and/or Social Science PhDs. This list is not meant to be exhaustive, nor does Yale endorse the companies or industries represented below. For a more exhaustive offering of job boards, listings, and more, check out our External Career Resources page.
- Virtual PhD’s SmartJobs: a weekly curation of PhD-appropriate jobs across Humanities, Social Science, and STEM disciplines and a related research blog highlighting PhD jobs and recent trends by industry, occupation, transferrable skills, and other criteria. Note: Versatile PhD is a paid subscription service made available to the Yale community courtesy of the Office of Career Strategy. To see all content, you must log on through our portal here.
- USAJobs: The Federal Government’s Official Employment Site
- D. E. Shaw: Generalist Positions
- New York Times: Careers in Product and Design
- Google: Careers in Design
- McKinsey: Advanced Professional Degree Recruiting
- Internships for Students at Amazon (All Degree Levels)
- Internships at Ralph Appelbaum Associates
- Bain & Company: Advanced Degree Summer Internships