LinkedIn Recommendation Request Samples

• Recommendations can come from former supervisors, coworkers, clients, vendors, professors or fellow students.
  • Ideally you want to have a balance of your peers, supervisors and both people who you managed or mentored and those who you directly reported to.
  • Give yourself a goal of adding 3-5 Recommendations.
  • When asking for a recommendation, try to give them a specific request about what you hope they can speak to in reference to your performance or character.

Sample 1

Dear (First Name),

I hope your day is going well! I am writing to you because I’m currently working on creating my LinkedIn profile. I am looking to add some recommendations to support my representation of skills. As someone who I highly respect as a professional, I am wondering if you would be willing to write a LinkedIn recommendation for me? If willing, it would be great if you could highlight the research work I conducted which would speak to my skills in the area of data analysis and data cleaning.

Thank you for considering this request and I am also happy to write you a recommendation if helpful.

Sincerely,

Sample 2

Dear (First Name)

I hope this note finds you well and that your family is enjoying these summer months. I realized I have not seen you since last spring when we ran into eachother at the XYZ Conference.

I am reaching out to ask a favor. I am in the middle of looking for new roles in the consulting industry in hopes that I can transition to a more boutique company. I would like to highlight my presentation and project management skills, which immediately made me think of you and our time working together at Company XYZ. If you are comfortable writing something for my LinkedIn Profile, I would greatly appreciate it. I can send over any additional information that might be helpful and am also happy to write you a recommendation if you’d like.

Sincerely,

By Robyn Acampora
Robyn Acampora Director of Strategic Initiatives and Public Service Careers