Yale’s Office of Career Strategy is dedicated to supporting Student Athletes as we recognize how busy they are in juggling a full academic workload while also spending hours practicing and competing for their sport. OCS works with Student Athletes on all aspects of the career exploration process, assists them in searching and applying for internships and jobs as well as graduate school.
OCS will meet with students to discuss possible career pathways, strategize on the job search, conduct mock interviews, review LinkedIn profiles and more. To accommodate their busy schedules, OCS has a dedicated career advisor who offers weekly advising sessions at Payne Whitney Gym for student athletes only. In addition to advising, OCS also offers specialized programming and resources for Student Athletes. Student Athletes can see resources available to their career field (or fields) of interest by visiting our Career Community pages.
About Yale Career Link
OCS uses an online Career Management System called Yale Career Link. Yale Career Link offers a centralized place to view career resources and find opportunities. It is where students can make an appointment with an OCS advisor, search for job postings (including the On Campus Recruiting Program), and utilize the Employer Directory. That’s only the beginning!
Log in using your Yale NetID and password.
Meet with OCS
OCS encourages student athletes to engage with our office. Advisors can meet with you at any stage.
- Advising is offered both virtually and in-person.
- Student Athletes have the option of meeting with any OCS Advisor. They also have the option of meeting with Robyn Acampora, OCS Student Athlete Liaison at Payne Whitney Gym’s Trophy Room on Tuesdays.
- Schedule an Advising Appointment through Yale Career Link.
- Once you’ve logged in:
1) select Advising (top right corner) of the home page
2) Request New Appointment
3) Select any filters such as appointment type, day of week, etc.. If you would like to meet at PWG on Tuesdays, select appointment type: General Appt at PWG/Varsity Athletes. Note: Athletes can also select the many other appointment types offered and meet with any OCS advisor in person or virtually.
4) Select the Check Availability button at the bottom
- No time for a full appointment? Use the Quick Questions Appointment Type for 15 minute virtual chats.
- Not sure how to start? Consider our Skills, Values, and Interests Self-Assessment as a starting point.
- Check out the Career Communities learn about career paths.
Engage with Yale Student Athlete Alumni
The Alumni network is incredibly helpful for student athletes. Below are ways to use the network.
- Refer to the Informational Interviews page for advice on how to set up calls/visits with alumni; email samples of how to request these meetings; and sample questions of what to ask.
- Utilize the Peer Networking Lists which include recent alumni. Log into Yale Career Link, go to Resources – Career Library – Category: Peer Networking Lists.
- Join Cross Campus, Yale’s new online networking platform that facilitates relationships between Yalies, including student to alumni. You can event search for Varsity athletes in the filtering options.
- Create / Improve your LinkedIn Profile and starting using the Yale Alumni LinkedIn Page.
Student Athlete Resources
- Yale Student Athlete Transferable Skills – helps students identify transferable athletic skills and incorporate them into the job search or graduate school application process.
- Yale Student Athlete Resume Samples (Resume Advice)
- Yale Student Athlete Cover Letter Samples (Cover Letter Advice)
- Yale Student Athlete Accomplishment Story Sheet – examples of situations where students have developed skills, and incorporates those into accomplishments using the STAR method.
- Use the Yale College Checklist for a list of resources and action items. Also check out our other OCS worksheets to print or download.
Student Athlete Outcomes
OCS has compiled the following Student Athlete Postgraduate Outcome Reports based on our First Destination Survey. These reports include the number of Student Athletes going to graduate school; what percentage of Student Athletes are working in various industries and job functions; salary breakdowns and what time of year student athletes secure their post graduate plans.
- Yale Student Athletes (Class of 2021) First Destination Infographic
- Yale Student Athletes (Class of 2020) First Destination Infographic
- Yale Student Athletes (Class of 2019) Post-Graduate Plans (Infographic)
- Yale Student Athlete First Destination Report – Class of 2021
- Yale Student Athlete First Destination Report – Class of 2020
- Yale Student Athlete First Destination Report – Class of 2019
- Yale Student Athlete First Destination Report – Class of 2018