Students and Alums in Yale College, the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, and the postdoctoral scholars can connect with OCS in the following ways. Please note OCS offers career advice on non-academic careers. Graduate students with questions about the academic job search should connect with their advisor(s) along with their department’s academic placement officer, which may be the department DGS. Postdocs pursuing academic careers should contact their department or the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
Students: Connect with OCS
Option 1: Online Resume and Cover Letter Review Service
- Email your resume and/or cover letter in PDF format; please do not submit Curriculum Vitae (CVs).
- Indicate at the top of your document(s) the target organization or industry.
- Feedback will be sent to you within 5 business days, so do not submit close to a deadline.
- For a quicker review, make a quick question or general career advising appointment through Yale Career Link.
Need help starting your resume or cover letter?
- Check out these resume tips and resume samples.
- Use the OCS downloadable resume template, list of resume action verbs and the resume rubrics for graduate students and undergraduates.
- GSAS students and postdocs are also encouraged to review tips on converting a CV to a resume.
- Review OCS guidance for cover letters and sample correspondence.
Option 2: Make a 15-minute “Quick Questions” Appointment (offered virtually when classes are in session)
- If you need help with a few quick questions regarding resumes, cover letters, interview/networking event prep, or internship/job negotiations, these appointments are for you!
- Request a “quick questions” appointment through Yale Career Link, powered by Symplicity, when classes are in session.
- Choose ‘Advising Appt’ on the left of your homepage to make a “quick questions” appointment.
Option 3: Schedule an Advising Appointment (available in-person or virtual)
- Request a career advising appointment through Yale Career Link, powered by Symplicity.
- Please do not schedule multiple appointments within a two-week period.
- Choose ‘Advising Appt’ on the left of your homepage to make an appointment.
- If you request a virtual appointment, once approved your advisor will email you a Zoom invitation/link for the date and time of your requested appointment. Please refer to that email to access your Zoom meeting on the day and time of your appointment.
Cancellation Policy: Please cancel by 5:00pm the prior business day. If you arrive more than 10 minutes late, you may be asked to reschedule.
Alums: Connect with OCS
- Alums are invited to request a 30 minute appointment online using the Yale Career Link.
- Your username is your email address and click “forgot password” to reset your password.
- If you have never logged in please click on “sign up.”
- Once logged in, select the “Advising/Calendar” from the left side to search for appointments.
- For phone appointments, provide a number in the request and the advisor will call you at the appointment time.