Funding Your Experience

Yale College: Some opportunities provide funding and some are unpaid. An employer offering an unpaid internship may offer other forms of compensation, such as commuting costs, housing, or a meal allowance. Yale College students seeking funding are encouraged to visit Financial Literacy: Managing Your Money at Yale for tips on budgeting and taxes.  If you will be receiving funds for a Summer Experience Award or Fellowship Award, sign up for Zelle.

Graduate School of Arts & Sciences: For students in the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, the GSAS Professional Experiences (GPE) Fellowship offers the opportunity to work on meaningful projects in administrative offices across the University.

Important Note: Under federal tax law, a scholarship or fellowship provided to a student in a degree granting program is generally taxable. If you are a candidate for a degree, however, you may be able to exclude from taxable income that part of the award used to pay the costs of tuition, required fees, books, equipment and supplies (required fees, books, equipment and supplies are limited to those specifically required of all students in a course). You cannot exclude from taxable income any part of the grant used for other purposes, such as room and board. Please refer to IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education, Section 1, Scholarship, Fellowships, Grants and Tuition Reductions and the IRS tax guide for students, Taxable Income for Students. While OCS cannot offer tax advice, the IRS Tax Office of Court Street does offer free tax advice to students.