Student organizations in Yale College, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, or whose members include postdocs may choose among our pre-designed workshops. We invite cultural centers, athletic teams, FroCos, performance, political, pre-professional groups, and faculty to also make requests.
Responsibilities of the Student Organization?
Consider collaborating with other student organizations to share resources and help ensure an advisor is available. Please note on the Workshop Request Form if you are partnering with another organization.
- Complete the Workshop Request Form, also found below in Featured Articles, at least two weeks in advance of the requested workshop.
- Date/time is dependent upon availability (we cannot guarantee your initial request).
- An advisor will contact you within 3 business days to confirm the workshop details.
- The student organization secures the location or can request a virtual event. If you would like to use the offices at 55 Whitney Ave, please ask the assigned advisor.
- Once the logistics are set, the student organization promotes to their members to secure at least 15 attendees.
- OCS will request registration numbers a week prior; if 15 cannot be confirmed, the workshop will open to all students.
- Each student organization is limited to one workshop per month.
- While workshops do not include 1:1 advising, many have interactive components and students will leave with action items.
Workshop Choices & Descriptions
The following workshops have been developed for Yale College students with engaging presentations and hands-on work.
- Resumes & Cover Letters: Highlights the components of effective resumes and cover letters, and discusses tips to best connect your experiences to specific positions. Participants are asked to bring a copy of their resume.
- Interviewing: Develop strategies to prepare for interviews and learn about different types of interviews.
- Job & Internship Search Strategies: Develop a strategy that includes networking, job boards, recruiting events, and a knowledge of recruiting timelines. Please specify the focus (post-graduate or summer internship search) in the notes of the workshop request.
Workshops Specific for Graduate Students and Postdocs:
- CV to Resume Conversion: Learn how to turn an academic CV into a professional resume for non-academic employers. Identify your transferable skills and how to structure your resume to highlight your unique qualifications.
- Plan and Manage Your Career Development: Clarify how to best use career assessment tools, such as myIDP or ImaginePhD, to prioritize goals and construct a strategy. We will review the career decision-making process, highlight career resources, and identify actions.