Empowering International Scholars for Success!
The Office of Career Strategy is a dedicated team guiding individuals toward global career success. We offer comprehensive support and resources to international students and professionals, helping them navigate the dynamic job market worldwide. Our goal is to address the unique needs of international scholars and define their career goals. We cover diverse fields such as Higher Education, Information and Technology, Manufacturing, Advertising, Health Sciences, Business, and Government globally. We highlight your value as an international candidate for various careers. Our OCS career advisors enhances your resume and skills through personalized advising and workshops for all graduate students and postdoctoral fellows . Services are available from the first year onwards, providing specialized workshops and seminars.
Understand Immigration Regulations Affecting Your Employment Status
The Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) has the expertise to help you fully understand the immigrations regulations and work permissions that will affect your job search. They provide essential assistance for various paperwork processes, such as Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT), and H-1B visa applications. They ensure that students have a clear understanding of the requirements and deadlines for each process, helping them navigate through the intricacies of US immigration regulations.
Improve Your Written and Spoken English
- Read our resume and cover letter guides, and attend OCS workshops or meet with an advisor to learn how to write U.S.-style cover documents.
- Take a class in the English Language Program at the Yale Center for Language Study
- Join an English conversation group run by OISS
- Practice informal conversation and learn American culture by joining one of the many GSAS student organizations or the Yale Postdoctoral Association
- Attend a free Bridges Saturday English as a Second Language (ESL) class
Learn About Cultural Differences
- Sign up to receive an etiquette “Tip of the Week” from the Culture and Manners Institute.
- Attend OISS’ monthly series on “Understanding America.”
- Graduate students can sign up for an interactive Career Lab to practice your networking and interviewing skills.
- Socialize with your peers by joining one of the many YC student organizations, GSAS student organizations or the Yale Postdoctoral Association.
Focus Your Job Search
- Learn more about how to become an effective networker.
- Network with Yale World Fellows to learn more about companies, industries and work environments all around the world.
- Use GoinGlobal or myvisajobs.com to research companies or organizations that have sponsored H-1 visas in the past, look at job postings abroad, review resume formats in different countries, and more.