The GSAS Professional Experience (GPE) Fellowship is an exciting new initiative by the Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences that offers Ph.D. students the opportunity to work on meaningful projects in administrative offices across the university. This program is designed to expand opportunities for doctoral students to strengthen their professional skill set and broaden their career exposure by working with experienced administrators outside of their academic programs. In turn, by hosting a fellow, offices across Yale can take advantage of the diverse array of skills that Ph.D. students offer to advance their programming and projects.
- PhD students – Stay tuned for Fall 2021 positions!
- Host organizations – learn more here
Yale Host Organizations, Spring 2021
Spring 2021 fellowship positions are now closed but stay tuned for Fall 2021 positions coming in May 2021. Click here to view past example positions. Future applications can be submitted through the Yale Career Link.
Why Do a GPE Fellowship?
Whether or not you pursue careers within or outside the academy, the fellowship experience is designed to advance your professional development and career awareness.
Career Exploration: Through a GPE Fellowship, you can gain exposure to academic administration as well as many professional roles found in organizations outside of academia, including: user experience research, exhibit design, journalism, corporate sustainability, finance, fund-raising, diversity initiatives, curriculum design, and event planning.
Mentoring: You will have a unique opportunity to work closely with host mentors, many of whom also have PhDs, and may be able to participate in job shadowing and meetings with other members in university administration. Through conversation and observation, you will expand your understanding of diverse functional roles, professional workplaces, and career transitions.
Skills Development: If you would like to expand your professional skill set, the GPE Fellowship is for you! Host organizations are looking for graduate students to help them with: Strategic planning; research; project management; program design and execution; communications; data analysis; best practices assessment…and more!
- Eligibility: Fellows must be currently matriculated, Yale doctoral students in years 1-6* of their studies during the fellowship.
- Term: Fellows work at a Yale host organization under the guidance of the host mentor for 5-7 hours per week over the course of 10 weeks during the 2020 Summer term or 13-15 weeks during the 2020 Fall or Spring terms.
- Stipend: Fellows receive $1000 for summer and $1500 for fall and spring term fellowships.
Please note: The GPE Fellowship does not count towards the fulfillment of your teaching requirement. For more information on teaching requirements, please see the GSAS website.
* 7th-year students with COVID-related funding extensions from GSAS are eligible to apply.