PhD Pathways to Nonprofit Jobs
Many PhDs have found fulfilling careers leading, sustaining, and/or founding mission-driven organizations that are working to solve global problems in education, healthcare, climate, international development, human rights and more.
The job function at a nonprofit organization varies depending on the organization’s mission, its size, and the specific skill sets that they need. Sample titles include: Program Coordinator/Manager; Grantwriter/Fundraiser; Volunteer or Membership Coordinator; Intake Counselor; Performance Evaluator; Community Organizer; Research Assistant.
The list below includes some areas within the nonprofit sector that one can work:
- Advocacy and Community Organizations
- Economic Development and Social Enterprise
- Foundations and Philanthropy
- International Development/NGO
Use these resources to learn about the many possible career paths in non-profit management.
- Common Good and Creative Careers: Campus events and resources related to careers in government, education, non-profits and policy organizations
- Imagine PhD: Articles, PhD profiles, jobs boards and more for careers in diplomacy, education, development and advocacy (free)
- Non-profit consulting employers: sample of organizations compiled by OCS advisers.
- Tsai City: Political Possibilities- Innovation form Local to Global
- Watch Recorded Sessions: Strategizing PhD Careers in the Nonprofit Sector