H-1B Temporary Worker

H-1B temporary worker status is designated for individuals coming temporarily to the U.S. to work in a specialty occupation. A specialty occupation is defined as one that requires “theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor’s or higher degree, or its equivalent, as a minimum requirement.” Further, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the federal H-1B petition adjudication authority, adds that “the ‘degree’ means not just any degree, but one in a specific specialty that is directly related to the offered position.”

View Resource